Sunday, May 19, 2019

Tip#1146: Have a Good Cry at the Movies, Part 5 - A Dog’s Journey

Something that surprised me from my weekly group therapy sessions was discovering how much pain and tears I still carried about my dad’s passing 19 years ago. I am still emotional when sharing stories about this great man. Thankfully I was encouraged by the psychiatrist to see my tears as a positive rather than the negative perception that sadness or regret are feelings I needed to “let go of” or release. I simply needed to allow myself to “feel” these feelings.

During some of these sessions I’ve also talked about the shiny dimes I’ve found that I believe my dad’s spirit lets me find in order to lift me up at specific times. These dimes sometimes let me know that whatever decisions I just made were confirmed to be the best and then encouraged me not to question it.

This happened recently as I made my way to see a matinee movie on a sunny Saturday morning. As I walked along Eglinton Ave. West amidst the construction of the new subway line in Toronto I found a shiny dime glistening in the sunlight and I knew that my dad was saying the film I decided to see would be extra special. And he was right!

A Dog’s Journey (2019)

The comedy drama fantasy film, A Dog’s Journey, is the sequel to A Dog's Purpose where Ethan (Dennis Quaid) instructs his beloved dog Bailey (Josh Gad) to find and protect his granddaughter CJ (Kathryn Prescott). This emotional journey once again shows the different lives, dog breeds and genders that Baily goes through to find CJ. The movie also stars Marg Helgenberger, Betty Gilpin and Henry Lau.
See: movie trailer 
Watch now: Amazon Prime


I loved the first film, A Dog’s Purpose (see tip#1026), and had no idea there was a sequel being made until I saw the trailer. It was such a welcomed surprise though the film unexpectedly explored darker areas of life. And yet it helped make the payoffs for the human characters much more emotional and satisfying. Bailey once again was hilarious and highly entertaining as: an elderly St. Bernard/Australian shepherd mix; a female beagle named Molly; a male mastiff named Big Dog; and a male Yorkshire terrier named Max.

The story was very inspirational in demonstrating Bailey’s passion and perseverance for his mission to continuously find CJ as she got older. The film also showed the power of friendship, family, love, trust and forgiveness when faced with pain and loss. And for me I was sobbing by the end at the message that the people and pets we lose still live on in some other form. The film was a reminder that my dad’s spirit was truly alive and was watching over me with love and continued guidance.

Movies have the power to allow each of us to feel our feelings whether they are happiness, anger, sadness or other emotions. They can give us permission to express trapped emotions that could not have been expressed over the years. Find a film today to help you have a good cry at. Your tears will allow some sunlight to shine through the dark cloud you are under!

Related Tips:
Tip#1007: Have a Good Cry at the Movies, Part 4 - Manchester by the Sea 
Tip#436: 12 Healing Movies For Grieving The Loss of a Loved One 
Tip#1114: What Does Family Mean to You? Part 10 - Moonstruck – Unleashed 

SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: