Sunday, May 05, 2019

Tip#1144: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 8 – The Sound of Music – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

The feeling of nostalgia can be a profound and powerful experience. I recently saw two favourite childhood films that instantaneously transported me to joyful times when I first saw them! The Sound of Music and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang both had a grand impact on me as a kid and I listened to their movie soundtracks over and over again. Even decades later I can still sing some of the lyrics of these songs!

Seeing the crisp Bluray versions of these two films were a truly stunning, nostalgic experience! The visual richness of each film was so beautiful to watch again as it triggered many happy memories. And what also struck me was how uplifting and empowering some of the song lyrics were. As a child I just enjoyed the tunes and now as an adult I can feel inspired by the messages of these wonderful songs!

The Sound of Music (1965)

The musical drama film, The Sound of Music, is about Maria (Julie Andrews) sent from an Austrian abbey to become the governess of seven children of a widowed naval captain (Christopher Plummer) prior to World War II. Based on the real life story of the Von Trapp Family singers, this beloved, Oscar-winning movie is overflowing with memorable songs and iconic cinematic moments.
Watch now: Amazon Prime

I was in awe watching the gorgeous, lush scenery of the Austrian landscapes and every setting of the songs I grew up loving! Songs like "My Favorite Things", "I Have Confidence” and “Something Good” have such uplifting, inspirational lyrics. While songs like "Edelweiss" and the title track “The Sound of Music” still make my heartache with an indefinable longing I feel deep inside me.

I recently gave my mom an 80th birthday gift of a double glass framed original 1965 vinyl soundtrack album. Seeing this album I adored after so many decades was so heartwarming and was the beginning of a floodgate of memories flowing from my childhood! I soon watched the movie and felt re-energized. I highly recommend seeing this movie whether its by yourself or shared with your friends or family.

Original Soundtrack Listing:

1.Prelude / The Sound of Music
2.Overture and Preludium (Dixit Dominus)
3.Morning Hymn and Alleluia
4.Maria
5.I Have Confidence
6.Sixteen Going on Seventeen
7.My Favorite Things
8.Do-Re-Mi
9.The Sound of Music
10.The Lonely Goatherd
11.Edelweiss
12.So Long, Farewell 
13.Climb Ev'ry Mountain 
14.Something Good
15.Climb Ev'ry Mountain (reprise)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

The musical adventure fantasy film, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, is about inventor Caractacus Potts (Dick Van Dyke) transforming a broken-down Grand Prix car into a magical car and going on adventures with his children, Jeremy (Adrian Hall), Jemima (Helther Ripley) and Truly Scrumptious (Sally Ann Howes), the daughter of a wealthy sweet factory. This highly entertaining family film is filled with memorable songs and scenes starring an array of colourful characters and settings. 
Watch now: Amazon Prime

Seeing this movie triggered so many happy childhood memories and was surprised to learn it was almost 2 1/2 hours long. Didn't feel long as a kid! It truly ignited my imagination and cherished the Corgi and Mattel car toys I wished I had kept. It had fold out wings and an inflatable cushion to put the car on top of when playing in the tub. I found out that Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson owns one of the original cars and likes to drive his actors in it between shoots!

There are also so many memorable songs with my favourite being “Doll On A Music Box” and the “Truly Scrumptious” duet with Sally Ann Howes and Dick Van Dyke. The lyrics and tune are so beautiful but also tinged with a touch of melancholy. I was surprised to learn that James Bond writer and creator Ian Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It makes sense with all the fun inventions and the name Truly Scrumptious that could have been a Bond girl name too!

Original Soundtrack Listing:

1.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2.You Two
3.Toot Sweets
4.Hushabye Mountain
5.Me ‘Ol Bam-Boo
6.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
7.Truly Scrumptious
8.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
9.Lovely Lonely Man
10.Posh!
11.Hushabye Mountain (Reprise)
12.The Roses of Success
13.Chu-Chi Face
14.Doll On A Music Box & Truly Scrumptious
15.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Finale)
16.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Main Title)

We all have favourite films as kids that inspired our imaginations or filled our heads with memorable tunes we’d sing over and over again. And as adults it’s empowering to realize that these films and songs can fill us with positive emotional energy, joy and even hope and optimism during difficult times. If you are feeling down or depressed just find one of your childhood favourites to triggered your happy nostalgic feelings and get ready for some bright sunshine to warm up your heart!

Related Tips:
Tip#356: Feel Good from Nostalgia - Big Trouble In Little China
Tip#1126: Family & Nostalgic Memories, Part 6 – Bumblebee
Tip#1099: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 7 – The Movie Music of John Williams


SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: