Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Introduction: Dreams Do Come True!



When dreams come true they become fantastic markers in your life that will be remembered forever. It validates all the hard work, struggles and pains it took to make your goals a tangible, satisfying reality. And yet in retrospect it is the journey that becomes the most important part of the process.

It was a dream come true on Friday, October 27, 2006 as I stood in front of over 150 people waiting to hear what I had to say. I was at the Royal Ontario Museum to give my presentation called 'How Movies Can Change Your Life' which marked the beginning of a new, exciting career for me.

In the presentation I shared how I survived a 7 year journey of self discovery after an early mid-life crisis hit me without warning. At the start of the year 2000 I found I couldn't do my job of over 10 years and felt a paralyzing loss of income, energy, enthusiasm and sense of purpose. Later that year my father would pass away unexpectedly. I felt utterly lost. But one thing got me through this dark year and that was my love for movies.

Three movie examples that changed my life are the following I discussed at the ROM:
Jerry Maguire:
Redefining who you are and your place in the world.
Groundhog Day:
Getting it right by doing it over and over again.
Pleasantville:
Expressing your true passions and authentic

Through the inspiration of movies such as these I was able to find hidden strengths within me to keep going one day at a time. Movies also helped me recognize the re-energizing value of my personal interests and how to utilize the 'feel good' feelings to fuel my search for a new, passion filled career. That led to the life skills and career development tools I created for myself that I now share with the world as a motivational speaker.

Thus, Motivatorman.com was born and with it this soon to be world famous blog! My goal is to share more of my survival stories, favourite movie heroes and other pop culture examples to help you enjoy your journey of a more fulfilling life and career.

So get ready to discover how to visualize and magnetize your dreams and goals!

Emmanuel Lopez
www.motivatorman.com
© Emmanuel Lopez 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised again by how similar our paths are. I am in my 7th year of transformation where I often judged myself for taking that period of time.

I particularly enjoyed your line: "how I survived a 7 year journey of self discovery". I can relate.

A +, Pascale