Sunday, February 02, 2020

Tip#1181: Learning through Movies, Part 7 – The Assistant

Blue Monday was the name given to the third day in January claimed to be the most depressing day of the year. While on January 29, 2020 Bell Let’s Talk Day commenced. I heard somewhere that this winter period was chosen for this day because it had the highest suicide rates in North America. Regardless, all I know is I definitely struggle more intensely with winter depression (SAD) at this time every year.

And yet what helps me cope is by being creative with raising awareness that people are not alone in their mental health pain. I do this through the writing of this weekly “Movies that Motivate” blog along with daily posts on my social media channels. I simply share tools and methods that work for me in coping with winter depression as well as clinical depression.

I recently launched a series of twelve video clips of interviews with celebrities that inspired me with their courage and openness dealing with mental health issues. Here are the first three:


 


Unfortunately I stayed silent for years about my suffering and looking back now I realize it cost me so much time in living a fuller life. I just didn’t have any resources to teach me more of the mental illnesses I was dealing with. Movies, thankfully, became a powerful method and therapy for getting me through countless dark periods. I recently saw a press screening of a film that not only helped me through severe seasonal depression but educated me on an important workplace issue.

The Assistant (2020)

The drama film, The Assistant, is a day in the life of, Jane (Julia Garner), a film production assistant to a powerful executive and grows increasingly aware of the insidious abuses of her boss and co-workers. This is a gripping, disturbing, slow burn thriller also stars Matthew Macfadyen, Kristine Froseth, Makenzie Leigh, Noah Robbins, Dagmara Domińczyk and Purva Bedi.
See: movie trailer
Watch now: Amazon Prime

I was riveted to this movie! There are so many silent sequences in this film that end up speaking volumes about Jane’s workplace and the horrible, secret systems of employees and managers covering up issues that mirror the real life Harvey Weinstein case. Garner is fantastic in her role while director Kitty Green masterfully tells a riveting story just by having us quietly observe Jane’s daily routine. In the end the film delivers high awareness to issues of workplace exploitation, its perpetrators and the people complicit in covering up these crimes.

Movies can become powerful vehicles for raising awareness to sensitive issues some people face in their work and lives. They can show us that we are not alone in our struggles or suffering. They can also teach us the values of what is right and what is wrong. Ultimately they can remind us of the kind of person we choose to be each and every day through the actions or ignore to take.

Related Tips:
Tip#1089: The Power in Silence, Part 2 - A Quiet Place 
Tip#1168: Learning through Movies, Part 6 – Modern Love – Jojo Rabbit

SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2020

No comments: