Sunday, October 20, 2019

Tip#1166: Movies To Wake You Up, Part 2 - The Thirteenth Floor

Autumn is here once again which means I am feeling the depression symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It’s very frustrating because it’s like my body, mind and mood wants to go into hibernation mode like a bear going into a cave to sleep all winter. And if you’ve ever had jetlag the causes are similar to SAD which has to do with our internal clocks being disrupted. Read more: My SAD and depression experiences

It’s dark times like this that reminds me why Groundhog Day and other time loop films are my favourites because dealing with SAD happens every year around September and lasts around 6 months. And every year I wished it were possible to break out of this time loop feeling. I’ve also been frustrated with the political news in the USA and fantasized that maybe I’m in an alternate reality I just need to break free of. I think maybe I can do what many motivational gurus say and just reprogram my reality (see tip#1164).

That’s when I started thinking of films that could inspire me to wake myself up as if caught in a nightmare reality. I though about The Matrix, Inception, Dark City, Vanilla Sky and The Truman Show. I then did a search online for “waking up alternate reality movies” and came across the perfect film from the late 90’s I’d never seen before. And it blew my mind!

The Thirteenth Floor (1999)

The neo-noir science fiction crime thriller film, The Thirteenth Floor, is about a computer scientist Douglas Hall (Craig Bierko) in 1999 running a virtual reality simulation of 1937 and becomes the primary suspect when his colleague and mentor, Hannon Fuller (Armin Mueller-Stahl), is murdered. This genre twisting film is an exciting, atmospheric ride that also stars Gretchen Mol, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Dennis Haysbert.
See: movie trailer 
Watch now: Amazon Prime 

It’s best you don’t know anymore about this mind-bending film and let it carry you away. Just know that it came out the same year as The Matrix and both feature thought provoking concepts of what is really reality and how can we break free of a life we feel trapped in and is wrong for us. The movie also features a touching romantic story between Douglas and the mysterious Jane (Gretchen Mol). In the end this film inspired me to persevere and figure out how to break free of a life I sometimes feel trapped in and continue researching ways I can reprogram my mind to manifest my dreams and goals.

If you feel trapped in a life you want to wake up from then get inspired by your favourite movies where the hero demonstrates shining resilience, perseverance and indestructible optimism to break free of their challenges. Things may appear hopeless in your situation but these films can at least free your mind for a few hours and return you into your reality re-energized and refreshed to keep moving forward!

Related Tips:
Tip#526: Movies To Wake You Up – Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
Tip#389: Focus On The Reality You Want – Inception


SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: