Sunday, March 24, 2019

Tip#1138: Learning through Movies, Part 5 – Remembering Queen Video – Romantics Anonymous – Danny Deckchair

Queen Video Store owner Howard Levman on Friday, March 22, 2019, the first day of their closing clearance sale and the two movie treasures I got that are featured in this blog post!

This week I was so saddened to find out that after 38 years the iconic Toronto movie rental store, Queen Video, was closing its last store on Bloor St. West. Since the 80’s, and long before the internet and online film viewing, this favourite store helped me discover so many movies from around the world that got me through depression and other dark times in my life and career. And they provided many movies for romantic movie nights I had at my home!

The flagship store on Queen St. West was just around the corner from my live/work studio on Spadina Ave. and it was my go-to resource for renting movies. It was such a joy just browsing the rows and shelves of all the colourful VHS boxes and then later DVDs. It’s definitely a sad ending for an era of the in-store rental experience and I’m going to miss Queen Video.


Thankfully I was able to purchase two wonderful, hard-to-find DVDs at Queen Video’s clearance sale that were perfect for this special blog post dedicated to the memory of this store. These films also synchronistically featured life lessons about anxiety and taking risks that I’ve been learning to embrace and use to empower myself!

Romantics Anonymous (2010)
Les Émotifs Anonymes (original title)

The French romantic comedy film, Romantics Anonymous, is about two painfully shy people Angélique (Isabelle Carré ) and her boss Jean-René (Benoît Poelvoorde) who fall in love while working at a chocolate factory. This charming, fun story has been called a mix of Chocolat and Amelie and is a must for chocolate lovers!
Watch now: Amazon Prime

I was immediately hooked when the opening credits began with a French version of the song “I Have Confidence” from The Sound of Music! Through some hilarious moments and heartfelt scenes this film explores the pain and frustration of social anxiety disorder. You see how Angélique and Jean-René each struggle and cope with their fears through psychotherapy, affirmations and group therapy. The film also shows how life and relationships can improve when you find the courage to push through anxiety and take risks that are frightening.

Seeing this movie again was a timely mirror for my current successful experiences with group therapy that I’ve been sharing on this blog (see Tip#1136). I’ve discovered that being able to share my challenges in a safe environment with professionals and people who share similar disorders can bring amazing answers and solutions for finding my inner courage to feeling more confident and happier. And, as the film demonstrates, having some delicious chocolate once in awhile definitely helps!

Danny Deckchair (2003)

The Australian romantic comedy film, Danny Deckchair, is about unlucky-in-love, Danny (Rhys Ifans) who escapes his unhappy life in suburban Australia when he lifts off in his deck chair tied to balloons. When lands he then finds a new life and new love with small-town traffic cop Glenda (Miranda Otto). This delightful, uplifting movie was inspired by a true story and filled with wonderful performances by the leads as well as Justine Clarke, Rhys Muldoon and everyone in the charming small-town of Clarence.
Watch now: Amazon Prime

This film is just glowing with the warm sunshine of the Australian people and the lush green locations it was shot in. The chemistry between the romantic leads was fun to watch blossom each day they were together. The story is also filled with life lessons for breaking out of an unhappy life by taking risks. The rewards that Danny receives when he follows his inner voice was inspiring to see unfold!

Seeing this double feature of these two romcoms from different parts of the world reminded me how powerful learning can be from movies. And though they highlight the importance of taking risks in life I also got the message from Danny Deckchair that maybe we just need a sense of adventure in order to take those risks. This is what I’m learning to master in my life and I’ll always be grateful to Queen Video for being there when I needed some cinematic inspiration! They were a meaningful, friendly neighborhood resource for my soul that I’ll always remember!

And thanks to these two movies I got at their clearance sale I’ll also have the nostalgic reminders of the DVD sleeves that have their name on it!

There are all kinds of traditional therapy available for anyone wanting to overcome their anxieties or depression. There is also the power of cinema therapy that can help teach and empower us to be the fearless and adventurous kind of person we dream about! Find those special films that mirror your own journeys today and be inspired to live your life to the fullest!



Related Tips:
Tip#1042: Learning through Movies, Part 4 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Tip#1115: The Uplifting Power of Cinema, Part 7 - A Simple Favor
Tip#1013: How Movies Mirror Your Inner Strengths, Part 6 - PTSD - Prison Dogs
Tip#1036: Your Thoughts Have So Much Power, Part 4 – Anxiety - The Space Between Us

SEE:
• Top Movie Picks for Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Emmanuel's Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Emmanuel's Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: