Sunday, March 31, 2019

Tip#1139: Yes, You Can Alter Your Reality, Part 2 - Welcome To Marwen

This has been a transformative and very surreal and emotional week. I was unexpectedly grieving over my dad’s passing on his recent birthday and shared that pain in my group therapy program. At the same time I was feeling the profound, cathartic benefits unfolding in this weekly program. Through the many tears I released I’ve been learning to rewrite the subconscious thoughts and beliefs that have been holding me back in my life and career.

During the past few weeks I have also been immersed in the synchronicity of movies and TV shows that amazingly mirrored my current journey of rewriting my reality. They contained stories about time travel and multiple universes and how the heroes navigate themselves to the one they want to be in or what is truly reality to them.

Star Trek: Discovery 2nd season explores time travel and altering reality.

The Orville's episode "Lasting Impressions" is about living in a fantasy world vs reality.

The second season of Star Trek: Discovery and a fantastic episode of The Orville called "Lasting Impressions" explores these thought provoking themes on “what is reality?” The Netflix shows Mirage and The OA Part 2 also twisted and bounced my brain up and down while being so entertaining and engaging! These shows were speaking to me and inspired me to persevere.

Netflix's Mirage is about altering reality and time travel

The OA Part 2 is about traveling through multiple universes.

I am so grateful my weekly group therapy sessions are helping me question my reality and my identity. I recently shared how I was once a thriving, successful illustrator but felt my photography (see my Instagram) has become my new focus and passion.

That same day I was later guided to seeing a movie where the hero also said the same exact thing about once being an illustrator and was now a photographer. This moment in the movie really blew my mind and I felt my reality warp in a beautiful, bizarre way! I felt the universe, once again, was speaking to me through a Hollywood film.

Welcome To Marwen (2019)

The fantasy drama film, Welcome to Marwen, is inspired by the documentary, Marwencol, about the true story of Mark Hogancamp (Steve Carell), a man struggling with PTSD who, after being physically assaulted, creates a fictional village with doll characters he photographs to ease his trauma. This visually dazzling movie also stars Leslie Mann, Diane Kruger, Merritt Wever, Janelle Monáe, Eiza González, Gwendoline Christie, Leslie Zemeckis, Siobhan Williams and Neil Jackson.
See: movie trailer
Watch now: Amazon Prime

Like many film reviewers, I had some problems watching this movie which, I’m sure, were similar reasons it became a box office bomb despite having a great cast and a director I loved, Robert Zemeckis. I felt the tone, script and pacing where uneven and clumsy while conveying powerful themes on art therapy, coping with trauma, depression, fetishes and hate crimes. And although the film worked hard to lighten these themes there were some shining moments of inspiration and learning from Mark’s creative coping strategies and ultimately witnessing him overcome his deep-rooted fears.

Mark learns to be happier by rewriting his reality through the art therapy of his photography, dolls and town he created. This is why I still recommend this film for anyone who is struggling with trauma or any artist who wants to benefit from the healing power of expressing one’s pain through something creative.

Reality is so subjective and personal when it comes to unhappy life experiences. And yet making positive changes can begin by unleashing one’s imagination. Freeing yourself from old, limiting thoughts can unlock so many exciting possibilities! Remember that we are surrounded by so many real-life stories and imaginative TV shows and movies that can help us view reality in different ways. Healing ways. Find one today to inspire your new possibilities!


Related Tips:
Tip#549: Yes, You Can Alter Your Reality - Men in Black 3
Tip#601: Benefits of Alternate Reality Movies – Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Tip#506: Time Travel & Alternate Reality Movies – 4 Hidden Gems

SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: