Sunday, December 13, 2015

Tip#913: The Silver Lining of Anxiety - The Good Dinosaur

Anxiety: a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.

I feel my indestructible optimism has been tested recently. To my surprise my laptop casing started to swell up making the track pad useless and sitting unevenly on the desk. I found out this was due to a swollen battery filled with trapped expanded gases and was very dangerous. I was consulted by Apple to immediately stop using my laptop and then set up an appointment to have the battery removed at a Mac Store. I was very anxious and was compelled to go without an appointment. To solve this problem. I had to wait several hours but the battery was finally removed and I was able to work on my laptop that was now lighter. I felt much lighter too!

The next test came when I re-fractured a tooth that had been repaired a year ago and the pain gradually increased each day I procrastinated not seeing a dentist. Finally the pain was too great and my anxiety pushed me to call. I was so grateful he was able to see me the next day. The cracked tooth was beyond saving so it had to be extracted. But the pain was gone afterwards and I had a great sense of relief and peace of mind.

These two challenges reminded me of what I was currently learning at the second program I’ve completed called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Relapse Prevention at CAMH (see tip#863). I was learning about the nature of anxiety and how to manage it. There is a silver lining to anxiety in that it helps us get out of danger, to take action. Anxiety can be a motivator. So having had my recent tests I feel I’ve increased my indestructible optimism by seeing the positives of the unpleasant feelings of anxiety.

Recommended article: The Anxiety Survival Guide

The Good Dinosaur (2015)

The Pixar animated adventure, comedy drama, The Good Dinosaur, is about Arlo (Raymond Ochoa), a young dinosaur, who learns to overcome fearful feelings since birth when he is separated from his family during a rainstorm. This visually lush, magical and epic film has some fun characters like the Neanderthal boy Spot (Jack Bright), Ario’s father Poppa (Jeffrey Wright), Thunderclap (Steve Zahn) and many other whimsical dinosaurs! See: movie trailer 


This is an excellent family film about perseverance, resilience and learning how to find courage through unexpected challenges. Through Arlo’s journey home you’ll see how his initial anxiety with each adversity causes him to take action to find solutions and save himself and his new friends. That courage increases along with his confidence with the loving help of Spot whom he originally saw as a threat.

Inspiring Themes:
• Perseverance
• Courage
• Confidence
• Resilience
• Leadership
• Team Spirit
• Family

Anxiety can feel uncomfortable and yet has a positive quality. Do your best to see its silver lining for getting you to take immediate action. It jump-starts your survival instincts to find solutions and a way out of trouble. It will help you find good people who can guide you through uncertainty. Let movie heroes (or dinosaurs!) inspire you to find your inner strengths and courage!

Related Tips:
Tip#200: How To Build Indestructible Optimism - 9 Movie Tips 
Tip#300: Cultivate Supportive Relationships, Part 1 – Top 25 Movies 
Tip#332: Your Thoughts Have So Much Power – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Tip#1002: Your Thoughts Have So Much Power, Part 2 – Doctor Strange
Tip#1027: Your Thoughts Have So Much Power, Part 3 – Catastrophic Thinking - Split
Tip#1036: Your Thoughts Have So Much Power, Part 4 – Anxiety - The Space Between Us
Tip#913: The Silver Lining of Anxiety - The Good Dinosaur
Tip#971: How Movies Mirror Your Inner Strengths, Part 4 – PTSD – Iron Man 3



NEED FAST TIPS FOR STAYING POSITIVE & RESILIENT?
SEE MOTIVATORMAN’S RESILIENCE RESOURCES: Click here 

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Inspiration, Insights & Epiphanies 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker & Resilience Expert
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience in Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2015

No comments: