Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tip#373: Finding Support In Difficult Times – G20 Toronto Pt.5 – The Shawshank Redemption

On Sunday, July 11, 2010 I was watching the news that Spain had won the world cup and fans were celebrating on top of a Toronto streetcar. It was a joyful sight and yet I wondered if the police would try and stop this public event blocking the streets like they did at the G20 standoff at Queen St. and Spadina Ave.

I thought back 2 weekends ago when I was boxed-in by riot police at the intersection of Queen and Spadina on route to my way home (see tip#369). I thought about how I was detained in the freezing rain stripped of my belongings. I was then transferred to a police bus where my plastic zip-tie handcuffs were replaced with metal handcuffs. Soaking wet, I was still grateful to be somewhere dry.

Without my prescription glasses (removed by the police) everything in the bus was a blur. I was directed to the back compartment of the bus that sat about 20 to 24 bodies. I sat next to a budding journalist and photographer who was also documenting the Queen Spadina event like me. On the other side of the aisle was a man who remained quiet.

We were on the police bus for over 2 hours and wondered why we were just sitting outside the detention centre. At one point the man across the aisle was in serious pain from his handcuffs being too tight. He was also suffering from anxiety. I looked him straight in the eyes and told him to hang on. He looked back at me and I could tell he really appreciated my supportive words. We didn't even know each other's name.

The Shawshank Redemption 1994

The movie The Shawshank Redemption is about the perseverance and resilience of an innocent man named Andy (Tim Robbins) held in prison for many years. His survival was the result, in part, by the supportive relationships he forged. One of those friendships was with Red (Morgan Freeman) the man everyone could go to when they needed something.

Andy and Red were fully aware of their situation and only over time realized the deep value of having each others support and friendship to overcome the harshness of prison. Fate had brought them together and they gave each other the will to hang on and keep living.

Someone Somewhere

Overcoming difficult situations in life is accomplished with a positive, resilient mindset. The other key factor is having supportive relationships. Whenever you find yourself caught in a challenge that seems overwhelming remember that there will always be someone somewhere that could help.

When you feel trapped in life remember to take a breath and look around you. There will always be someone, perhaps sitting right next to you, that could offer a helping hand. And who knows? Maybe you could be that helpful person for someone else in need.

Read my G20 Toronto Experience:
Part 1: Click here
Part 2: Click here
Part 3: Click here
Part 4: Click here
Part 5: Click here
Part 6: Click here
Part 7: Click here
Part 8: Click here
Part 9: Click here
Part 10: Click here
Part 11: Click here
Part 12: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero
Social Media Wingman Services
Helping you shine online: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2010

3 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

fantatsic movie. both freeman and robbins were amazing in thsi movie. they both kept calm and collective throughout the most trying timees in tehir lives.

Ms. Pitaro said...

One of the best movie lines ever is "get busy living or get busy dying" :)

Ms. Pitaro said...

....and how could I forget the even better line "some birds were not meant to be caged" ;)