Sunday, November 10, 2019

Tip#1169: Connecting with Your Inner Child, Part 12 - PTSD - Doctor Sleep

As mentioned in tip#1162 I started exploring Complex PTSD to help me face the long buried trauma of childhood bullying at school. I recently started reading the book, Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving: A Guide and Map for Recovering from Childhood Trauma by Pete Walker and just looking at the opening pages of testimonials got me emotional.

I felt that this book was going to open a dark door back to my childhood and help me heal the hidden fears and subconscious beliefs that have been sabotaging my dreams and goals in my adult years. I’m taking baby steps with this book but I immediately resonated with the term “emotional flashbacks” and read the 13 steps of how to deal with these since I have these flashbacks daily. Download: 13 Steps PDF

At the same time I’ve started a 10 week Mindfulness Therapy Group that I’m excited about because it will further help me quiet my mind from daily distractions through group meditation. We can then discuss troubling thoughts that bubble up to the surface. The program involves EFT (emotion focused therapy) and I’m already improving my listening to my hurt inner child that is trying to speak to me whenever I feel mini anxiety attacks or depression. These are actually flashbacks and, hopefully, the cause of chronic issues in my life and work.

And of course, through the magic of the universe and cinema medicine, I was synchronistically led to seeing a film that dealt directly with Complex PTSD and inspired me to step as deep as I can into the darkness full of courage and indestructible optimism!

Doctor Sleep (2019)

The supernatural horror film, Doctor Sleep, is the continuation of Danny Torrance's story 40 years after the terrifying events of Stephen King's The Shining. Danny (Ewan McGregor) struggles with childhood trauma but harnesses his psychic abilities to help Abra (Kyliegh Curra) to fight Rose the Hat (Rebecca Ferguson) and her cult of “shine” eating immortals. This highly entertaining and riveting film is filled with scares and thrilling scenes which also stars Cliff Curtis, Carl Lumbly and Zahn McClarnon.
See: movie trailer
Watch now: Amazon Prime

I’m not a fan of horror films and wasn’t a big fan of The Shining movie but this film was so unique in that it has visually stunning sequences highlighting the “shine” powers of Abra and Danny. The battle scenes with Rose the Hat are fantastic! The story also shows how Danny moves through his alcoholic addictions, finds help and caring people who support him, and even finds a profound use of his “shine” gifts for hospice work. I highly recommend this film as an inspirational learning tool for any kinds of recovery work or self-healing journeys.

Facing childhood traumas can be a frightening idea. And yet cinema is filled with stories dealing with how wounded childhoods affect adulthood in profound and tragic ways. But your future can look bright thanks to the movie heroes who triumph over their childhood demons and can become your cinematic role models for success and courage. Find a film today to inspire your inner child to be brave and resilient!

Related Tips:
Tip#1162: Connecting with Your Inner Child, Part 11 - It Chapter One (2017) - It Chapter Two (2019)

SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: