Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Tip#39: More About Believing: You’ll See It When You Believe It - 3 Movie Tips



Some people need physical evidence to believe that something is real. While others are more open to trusting in something they cannot see. The imagination can help to picture things that seem impossible to be true.

Many of my favourite movies celebrate the concept of believing. Seeing the main characters persevere against non-believers has inspired me to do the same in difficult times. Here are some movie examples...

The Matrix (1999)

At it's core, the sci fi action movie The Matrix is all about believing with Keanu Reeves as the main character, Neo. The term "believe" is used constantly throughout the entire movie by each of the characters. Neo was introduced to the idea that he had incredible abilities within himself to control his physical reality. His eventual transformation was based on the requirement of him believing in the impossible. Only when he believed did the abilities manifest.

It also helped that others around him made the choice to believe in his abilities too. Even the antagonist played an important role in testing what Neo believed. Just like in real life those that oppose you can be seen as someone helping you to see how strong your belief really is.

Field of Dreams (1989)

In the fantasy drama Field of Dreams,Kevin Costner's character is mysteriously guided by a voice to build a baseball diamond in his cornfield. Doing this made him seem crazy to others and cost him his livelihood. This becomes a test in believing in something that didn't make sense as well as taking big risks for the sake of a vision. Again his faith becomes stronger with the support of others willing to take the risks along with him. The results were both magical and healing for everyone that believed.

Contact (1997)

In the sci fi drama movie Contact,Jodie Foster's character is a scientist who can only believe in something if there is tangible, scientific proof. That attitude is put to the test when she has an extraterrestrial experience and tries to convince the world of this without providing any physical proof. She gets to see both sides of the coin and ends up becoming a wiser person in the process. This is one of my all time favourite movies that allows you to consider your own belief systems and the question of faith.

It's always good to have a little skeptic inside you when considering new ideas. It's also important to keep an open mind as well. Having a good balance can help you navigate through the multitude of ideas, suggestions and opinions that come your way in life. Especially when it comes to believing in yourself.

And remember, taking a chance and believing in something you cannot see could make positive changes in your life to last a lifetime.

"You’ll see it when you believe it."
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Emmanuel Lopez
www.motivatorman.com
© Emmanuel Lopez 2007

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emmanuel,

I don't know where this quote came from but.......

"Whether you think you can or you can't...you're right!"

I had surgery on one of my legs this week. It involved more than I anticipated, but I went into it with a very positive attitude....it required local anesthesia, so I was awake the whole time...so I asked for more numbing as I felt the need. As the doctor worked on the leg...I not only watched the surgery but I engaged him in conversation and we talked as he did his job. I asked him if he liked to draw...he said "I was the top artist in my high school" I said "I thought you were an artist by the way you pay such close attention to detail" He was amazed at how smoothly the whole procedure went and made a point to tell me what an incredible patient I was.

The very next day, wrapped in bandages, I felt fine and drove myself to pick up my full length elastic stockings which I had to start wearing a day later. the gal there could not believe I was up and about and not complaining...it was she who said to me...

Whether you think you can or you can't..you're right!


Believing....absolutely works!


Paulette

Anonymous said...

Thank you emmanuel. All you work has been very inspirational for me.

Alana