Sunday, August 18, 2019

Tip#1157: Resilience Resources, Part 26 – Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - Dead of Night

It’s a few weeks before September which means I’m about to enter six months of the depression mood changes that comes with seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Though I was only diagnosed last year I’ve had a keen feeling for several years that I’ve been struggling with this since high school. It’s like I’m caught in a loop of darkness that usually lasts for about 6 months. The key is to maintain my indestructible optimism and resilience!

As I’ve documented my mental health journey on this movie blog and my Instagram channel so I could share many therapies I’ve explored to help me cope during the Fall and Winter months. Diet, sunshine and exercise helps as well as social interactions with friends and other positive energy people. I also have numerous resources for self-motivation like surrounding myself with positive quotes, audio recordings, creative projects and using prayer, meditation and the practice of gratefulness.

• See my art & music as coping tools: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Lists of uplifting movies: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
• My uplifting photos of food and other inspirations: Instagram

Movies as medicine are still my top go-to solution that always revitalizes and sustains me through SAD. And some movies, like Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow, reflects the annual seasonal loop I sometimes feel trapped in. Here is another film I recently discovered that sent a chill up my spine with this same message!

Dead of Night (1945)

The horror film, Dead of Night, is an anthology of short stories centred around architect Walter Craig (Mervyn Johns) who experiences a haunting déjà vu when he meets a group of people at a country house. There are five supernatural stories that are shared by amongst this group of people. Some of the cast includes Googie Withers, Sally Ann Howes, Frederick Valk, Roland Culver and Michael Redgrave.
See: movie trailer
Get movie now: Amazon

Despite this film being made in the mid-forties it has some lasting, creepy moments and visuals! Scenes featuring the hearse, the mirror and ventriloquist's dummy were already familiar possibly from times I saw them growing up on TV. I’m not sure when but they are still very haunting.

It’s best you see this film without knowing anymore including how this connects with the theme of being caught in a loop. Just know that each of the short stories are thought provoking about strange, unexplainable experiences that many people have in real life.

If you feel trapped in some kind of recurring nightmare in your life remember to maintain your indestructible optimism and resilience. And remember that movies as medicine can help you through those times you feel trapped in a loop. Cinema can be one of your most powerful resilience resources!

Related Tips:
Tip#727: The Power in Repetition, Part 2 - Groundhog Day
Tip#762: Learning from Mistakes - Edge of Tomorrow
Tip#804: Resilience Resources, Part 1 - Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - The Theory of Everything 



SEE EMMANUEL's:
• Top Movies as Inspirational Learning Tools: www.Movies for Motivation.com
• Award-winning Illustrations: www.EmmanuelLopez.com
• Social Media Consulting Services: www.SocialMediaWingman.com

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Award-winning Illustrator | Movie Blogger | Speaker | Foodie
Discover Movies As Inspirational Learning Tools!
See website: www.MoviesForMotivation.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2019

No comments: