Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tip#13: Believe In Synchronicity, Pt.1 - 4 Movie Tips


Synchronicity:
Defined as a meaningful coincidence of two or more events, where something other than the probability of chance is involved.

I am a big believer in synchronicity and I love sharing stories about events that have happened to me that seem like they were part of an amazing movie script. In fact every movie or story involves some sort of synchronicity that propels the plot forward. Life can be accelerated just like that if you become more aware of your chance encounters and meaningful coincidences.

The Number 13

One of my stories involves the number 13 and since this is my 13th motivational tip it seems a perfect time to share it. Two months ago I gave a workshop at a conference retreat north of Toronto. When I arrived it was lunchtime so I went to the dining area where several hundred attendees had started their lunches.

Many of the round tables were already full except one with one man seated there. I decided to join him and we introduced ourselves. I told him about the topic I was going to speak on that afternoon and he was so excited about it that he decided to join my workshop instead of the one he had already signed up for.

Later as I set up my room I noticed that there were 12 people signed up for my workshop and that the new person would make 13. Some believe that number is bad luck but that day it was just the opposite as I will explain later.

The workshop went smoothly and, as always, I talked about synchronicity and of Carl Jung who coined the word to describe what he called "temporally coincident occurrences of acausal events" or meaningful coincidences.

I then shared the story about the 13th attendee who joined the group through our chance encounter at lunch and how he felt he was meant to be in my workshop. Our workshop was also in Room 13. Then someone noticed that there were 13 letters in the word synchronicity. Suddenly the whole group uttered a collective "Ohhhh!"

That really made my day because it's that spontaneous expression of childlike wonder that can allow amazing synchronicities to initiate positive changes in our lives.

Synchronicity Continues

To my surprise the synchronicities continued beyond the conference. It turned out this 13th attendee worked in downtown Toronto and astonishingly just down the street from me. Think carefully of the chances of this happening and you'll see that this coincidence deserves extra attention. At this point my gut was telling me that there was a higher reason we had met and we had to stay in contact.

Since then he has become a constant source of support with my career goals and always gives me feedback on my blog entries. In turn I have the opportunity to help him with his goals too. we are fast becoming the best of friends. What a great and unexpected gift we've both received from our chance encounter.

Signs (2002)

The sci fi drama, Signs explores synchronicity starring Mel Gibson. Gibson plays Graham a family man who has lost his faith. But through a series of meaningful coincidences within this thriller he sees a pattern of signs that leads to saving his family and re-ignites his faith.

Serendipity (2001)

The term synchronicity is similar to the term serendipity defined as a fortunate accident. The romantic comedy movie Serendipity stars Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack and explores how powerful coincidences can bring two people together if only they recognize and act on the signs presented to them. It takes courage to follow signs that do not make sense in your head but feel right in your heart.

The Truman Show (1998)8

Another movie that explores meaningful coincidences is the comedy drama The Truman Show starring Jim Carrey. Carrey plays Truman who is unwittingly the star of an ongoing TV show within a town of actors that revolves around everything he does. This becomes a powerful metaphor that there are actions going on behind the scenes in life that are setting up synchronistic events to occur for our benefit.

I Heart Huckabees (2004)

The fantasy comedy film, I Heart Huckabees explores how coincidences and chance meetings can lead someone towards their dreams and goals. Two existential detectives, played by Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin, are hired to discover the meaning of a man’s coincidences. Their discoveries demonstrate how the universe is always at work helping people deal with the core issues preventing them from achieving what they desire most in life.

So Believe

So believe in synchronicity and that the people you meet happen for a reason. Remember that seemingly random events in your life are leading you somewhere meaningful. If something related happens twice ask yourself, "What is the message I am getting?"

And if something happens 3 times then the universe is really hitting you over the head to deliver a message or a sign! Like any great movie script nothing said or done is ever wasted. Make the most of your chance encounters and coincidences right now.

"The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it Intuition or what you will, the solution comes to you and you don't know how or why."
Albert Einstein

"The first insight occurs when we become conscious of the coincidences in our lives and that some other process is operating… Chance coincidences are meant to happen."
The Celestine Prophecy

Related Tips:
Tip#13: Believe In Synchronicity, Pt.1 - 4 Movie Tips
Tip#554: Believe in Synchronicity, Pt.2 – Jeff, Who Lives at Home – Touch TV Series
Tip#639: Believe in Synchronicity, Pt. 3 – Grand Canyon
Tip#800: Believe In Synchronicity, Pt.4 - Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Emmanuel Lopez
www.motivatorman.com
© Emmanuel Lopez 2006



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog's good advice while seeking people's thoughts on synchronicity, thought I'd share mine back:

http://www.actionsquad.org/crawlspace1.html

Hope you enjoy.

S. Camille said...

Hi Motivator Man!

I'm a new blogger and I found you through a blog search with the keyword 'synchronicity'. You are the first blogger that I'm leaving a comment for. Why is that I wonder? Synchronous? What I enjoy about the this element of life is that if you're willing to trust in it, be patient and wait for the answers (knowing they will come), then it's a joy to sometimes enjoy the ambiguity of not being sure of the meaning of things you suspect might mean more. Ah... the little things in life can be what it's all about, don't you think?

I've been reading lots of blogs recently and I'm trying to determine what's the best theme for my own. Synchronicity has has always played a major role in determining my life path. I enjoyed your quiet confident and not overly 'know it all' style.

Also, I'm a fellow Torontonian! Nice to meet you. I'm looking forward to your future posts!

C

Anonymous said...

Maybe this movie is "useful" too:

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

Please if reeders have any suggestions add them!!