Sunday, October 15, 2017

Tip#1063: Coping Tools & Methods for Mental Health, Part 3 – Forks Over Knives – Hungry For Change

This is an example of a 40% acidic & 60% alkaline meal I prepared which would be 100% alkaline if not for the acid forming foods of the baked salmon belly, white basmatic rice and the side garlic Caesar dip. Still this was very delicious! Alkaline forming foods in this meal include: raw broccoli, zucchini, carrot, yellow pepper, wakami seaweed, Himalayan pink salt, ground black pepper and mineral water.

I definitely have a new passion for eating and cooking more nutritional foods! And I combine that with my other passions for photography and storytelling by documenting my journey on Instagram called THE FILM FOOD FRIENDS PROJECT. It is a joy to share what I am learning about a more alkaline plant-based diet which, thankfully, doesn’t include eliminating meats, poultry, fish and dairy. They just need to be drastically reduced. See: Emmanuel’s Instagram

I am often shocked when I look back growing up on how awful and imbalanced my daily diet was. For example during high school I’d have French fries and chocolate milk for lunch thinking it was nutritious because potatoes are a vegetable and milk was good for you.

Here is an example of a 80% acidic & 20% alkaline meal which means it creates a more acid environment in the body because of the duck, pasta and cream sauce. And though this was absolutely delicious I just needed to supplement this by eating more fruits and vegetables after this meal. So no need to give up foods I love, I just need to follow acid alkaline food guides and be conscious of what I eat every day!

But today now I know that fried foods and dairy are highly acidic forming in the body. I’ve been eating highly acidic forming foods for decades and now realize its been slowly inflaming and destroying my body and my mind. At least now I am aware of how to balance acid foods like meats with more alkaline forming foods like vegetables. What continues to inspire my drive to focus on a healthier diet is this quote I first mentioned in tip#1055

“No disease, including cancer, 
can exist in an alkaline environment.” 
Dr. Otto Warburg,
1931 Nobel Prize winner for cancer discovery

My food journey has been about staying inspired and motivated when it came to not knowing how to prepare meals with fruits and vegetables. And since I’m an artist what has helped was to “cook with colour” which really excites my eyes and desire to photograph my new meals I prepare! A book that has helped with it’s highly detailed food charts is The Acid Alkaline Food Guide by Dr. Susan E. Brown and Larry Trivieri, Jr. It’s a small, compact book and you can see a sample of the food chart at this link: Alkaline Food List

There were two important bits of advice I got from food documentaries that helped me be more courageous and adventurous with adding more plant-based foods into my diet:

1) There are many different ways to eat vegetables but the best way is whatever method will get you to eat them.
2) When starting a new diet just add in the good foods, it will eventually crowd out the bad foods

The second statement came from the eye-opening film, Hungry for Change and it is one of two documentaries I highly recommend you see on Netflix!



Forks Over Knives (2015)

The documentary film, Forks Over Knives, advocates a low-fat, whole-food, plant-based diet as a way to avoid or reverse several chronic diseases including obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and cancer. It is also about avoiding processed food and food from animals. See: movie trailer

“People who were raised in Japan, The Philippines, Korea, China never had heart disease, prostate cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis…” 
John McDougall, MD

This quote from the film struck me personally because I was born in the Philippines but moved to Canada when I was three. So I was mostly raised on a western diet. This film is brimming with insights from many nutrition experts and case studies of people who successfully cured and reversed their chronic diseases. I highly recommend you just look at the movie trailer and see if it resonates with you. Here is a link to the official website: Forks Over Knives



Hungry For Change (2012)

The documentary, Hungry For Change, exposes secrets the diet, weight loss and food industries don't want you to know about deceptive strategies designed to keep you coming back for more. See: movie trailer

“The problem is we are not eating food anymore we are eating food-like products. And they are adorned, they are made to look better and smell better so people are attracted to them.” 

This film is filled with more riveting information from interviews with best selling health authors and leading medical experts to shake up your programmed belief systems and mindset. You will also be inspired to make your own diet and lifestyle changes by real life transformational stories. Again I highly recommend you see the movie trailer and then watch this on Netflix. Here is the official website: Hungry For Change

A third film I recommend is What The Health which I featured in tip#1055. All these documentaries have been so helpful to me in my quest to cure or reverse clinical depression. They have helped inspire, motivate and empower me to make huge lifestyle changes while enjoying new food delights while stepping into the unknown. I hope these films as well as my story inspires and motivates you on your own journey for a more satisfying and delicious life!

Related Tips:
Tip#1055: Believe in Miracles, Part 3 - Health & Wellness - What the Health
Tip#1015: Coping with Depression, Mental Health & Wellness -Collateral Beauty
Tip#1052: Coping Tools & Methods for Mental Health, Part 1 – Baby Driver
Tip#1056: Coping Tools & Methods for Mental Health, Part 2 – Alkaline Foods – The Martian
Tip#1063: Coping Tools & Methods for Mental Health, Part 3 – Forks Over Knives – Hungry For Change



MOVIES & MENTAL HEALTH INTERVIEW:
Listen to Emmanuel’s interview on the podcast show THIS MOVIE’S ABOUT YOU with Thom Ernst (former host of TVO’s Saturday Night at the Movies) and Louis Marrone. Emmanuel discusses his ideal double bill of GROUNDHOG DAY and PLEASANTVILLE and how they helped him cope with clinical depression. Click here

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT NEEDS CHEERING UP?
SEND THEM THIS: Uplifting Movie Montage produced by Emmanuel Lopez!

LISTEN TO EMMANUEL’S CBC RADIO INTERVIEW on
MOVIE MESSAGES OF HOPE: The Fresh Air Show

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker on Health & Wellness
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience & Indestructible Optimism
See website: www.motivatorman.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2017

No comments: