Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Tip#999: Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Part 5 - The Best Offer

Sometimes I see a movie that I really love only to be disappointed by an unsatisfying ending. Examples of this are The Mist and I Am Legend. And thankfully sometimes a special edition cut is released with a happier alternate ending such as for I Am Legend (see tip#143).

Another film I absolutely loved up until the end was The Best Offer. It was written and directed by Giuseppe Tornatore who also did the epic movie lover’s movie Cinema Paradiso. I chose not to blog about it because I was so bothered by the ending. Then recently a friend, who loved it, told me there were different ways to look at the ending based on online forums discussing this movie. So I gave it a second chance.

What I discovered was there were hidden layers within the story that were actually visible in plain sight. It just depended on how you chose to acknowledge what has occurred and how the main character is affected in the end. One of the comments on an online discussion said it best…

“The movie is deliberately ambiguous at the end so that the viewer could decide based on their own views.” 



The Best Offer (2013)

The romantic mystery film, The Best Offer, is about Virgil Oldman (Geoffrey Rush), a reclusive director of an esteemed auction house who falls in love with a reclusive young heiress, Claire Ibbetson (Sylvia Hoeks). This fascinating, compelling story about deceit and forgeries features lavish settings and strong performances by the leads and Jim Sturgess and Donald Sutherland. See: movie trailer


I highly recommend you see this movie without knowing anymore. It is definitely for art lovers! This is a surprisingly interactive story where you get to choose the outcome from the ambiguous ending. And once you see it I suggest taking time to reflect on your thoughts and feelings. And then read the many thought-provoking insights and opinions on this link: Movies Stackexchange

For me this was an exercise in self-awareness. I realized something about myself that was mirrored in the ending that affected my negative or pessimistic opinion of my first viewing. I couldn’t see the silver lining. Once I chose a more optimistic point of view about what happens to the main character other factors and scenes throughout the film magically supported the happier ending I wanted! I was amazed at this unique cinematic experience!

In the end I now feel this was brilliant filmmaking by the writer and director and look forward to seeing it again. It is a fantastic metaphor for what I already believe and teach in my motivational talks about learning to focus on the positive future you want instead of the negative aspects currently in front of you.

Remember, you have the ability to see that every cloud has a silver lining. You have the power to choose an alternate ending to the challenges you currently face. Let movies inspire a positive vision and attitude for you to apply in your own life and work. This is how you activate your indestructible optimism!

Related Tips:
Tip#67: Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Part 1 - 4 Movie Tips
Tip#621: Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Part 2 - Silver Linings Playbook 
Tip#902: Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Part 3 - Mental Health - K-PAX  
Tip#982: Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Part 4 - Life, Animated
Tip#999: Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Part 5 - The Best Offer 
Tip#143: You Can Choose Alternate Endings, Part 1 - 3 Movie Tips 
Tip#969: You Can Choose Alternate Endings, Part 2 - The Magic Story - X-Men: Days Of Future Past: The Rogue Cut 
Tip#593: Remember Your Indestructible Optimism, Part 1 - Argo
Tip#904: Remember Your Indestructible Optimism, Part 2 – Depression - The 33
Tip#974: Remember Your Indestructible Optimism, Part 3 - Ghostbusters 2016 
Tip#200: How To Build Indestructible Optimism - Top 9 Movie Tips
Tip#998: Top 20 Inspiring Movies for Indestructible Optimism!



ON SALE NOW:
Top Inspiring Women in the Movies:
15 Films for Leadership at Work & in Life
The latest eBook by Emmanuel Lopez: Click Here

LISTEN TO EMMANUEL’S CBC RADIO INTERVIEW on
MOVIE MESSAGES OF HOPE: Fresh Air Show 14 minutes

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Inspiration & Motivation 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
The Movies-For-Motivation Speaker
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience & Indestructible Optimism
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2016

No comments: