Sunday, July 31, 2016

Tip#978: 47 Movies That Helped People Cope During Their Depression – Buzzfeed.com


It always inspires me to know other people around the world feel as passionate as I do about the uplifting power of movies. Not only does it make me feel part of a vast movie-loving community it also provides me with new film recommendations that I can enjoy and then share in my motivational keynotes and seminars and on this blog!

Ultimately, this is further proof that people have massive resilience resources for mental health and wellness of movies they can access to help them cope and manage depression. This is what I teach in my presentation How To Re-Energize Yourself because a favourite film can be very much like a personalized battery to re-energize you to move forward no matter what problems block your path.

On Buzzfeed.com, staff writer Jamie Jones asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell them the movie that helped them during their depression. Some of their comments were very heartfelt and can also be a source of inspiration for others dealing with depression whether it is situational or clinical. Here are 12 of my favourites from 47 Movies That Helped People Cope During Their Depression...

2. Amélie
“Amélie really helps me through anything. ANYTHING. If you’re upset it helps perk you up, if you feel like a weirdo it makes it not feel like a bad thing…” 

3. Silver Linings Playbook
“Watching them work through their problems and accept their faults made me feel like I could make it through okay too. And all the adorable dance scenes got me up out of bed and wanting to be moving and active again.” 

5. Lilo and Stitch
“There is literally nothing sad about that movie, it is just love.” 

6. Synecdoche, New York
“I think it spoke to my soul about depression and existential crises with such visceral truth that I felt connected to something; I felt like I was not alone with the terrible enormity of my feelings...” 

8. Legally Blonde
“Legally Blonde got me through a few rough patches during high school and college. Elle spent the whole movie not fitting in at Harvard, but then ended up with the best deal out of everyone, and that gave me a lot of hope for dealing with my own loneliness…” 

11. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
“For whatever reason, the movie I watched a hundred times during the worst of my depression was the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. There’s something so calming about Gene Wilder in that movie.” 

12. Cool Runnings
“It’s my happy place – I’m seven again and nothing is wrong with the world.” 

16. The Lego Movie
“I’ve been struggling with depression for about five years now. I’ve always felt like I was nobody and I am always going to be a nobody. The message in The Lego Movie gave me hope. I am special. Everybody is special. You can achieve great things. Just hearing that brought me to tears.” 

26. The Birdcage
“When I’m depressed, I always end up watching The Birdcage because I know it will make me laugh every time without fail. Plus, the late great Robin Williams stars in it, and any Robin Williams film is magic to my mood.” 

27. Almost Famous
“Whenever I’m feeling especially down I take out Almost Famous and I watch that “Tiny Dancer” scene and cry sad and happy tears at the same time, and then everything is a little better.” 

31. When Harry Met Sally…
“There’s just something about that movie that whisks me away and helps me feel stronger for some reason. I can’t explain it.” 

41. Inside Out
“Seeing that it was okay to be sad and that it was necessary to truly feel alive helped me know that I didn’t have to force myself to be happy all the time. It allowed me to begin to accept myself as I am again.” 

See full article for all 47 movies:
47 Movies That Helped People Cope During Their Depression

If you are dealing with situational or clinical depression or just feeling stuck in your life or career be inspired by these comments on the uplifting power of films. Let these comments show you that you are not alone in your problems and that movies have the magical ability to re-energize your thoughts and spirit to keep moving forward. Movies can make you feel less alone in the world.

And if you know someone who is dealing with depression and would feel better from this post then please share it. You could make a huge difference in their life today!

See Emmanuel/Motivatorman's personal list:
Top 10 Inspiring Movies for Managing Depression

Related Tips:
Tip#828: Motivatorman’s Top 10 Feel Good Movies 
Tip#834: Top 10 Movies for Inspiring Resilience in the Workplace 
Tip#200: How To Build Indestructible Optimism - Top 9 Movie Tips

ON SALE NOW:
Top Inspiring Women in the Movies:
15 Films for Leadership at Work & in Life
The latest eBook by Emmanuel Lopez: Click Here 

LISTEN TO EMMANUEL’S CBC RADIO INTERVIEW on
MOVIE MESSAGES OF HOPE: Fresh Air Show 14 minutes

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Inspiration & Motivation 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
The Movies-For-Motivation Speaker
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience & Indestructible Optimism
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2016

No comments: