Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tip#721: The Need for Human Interaction - Her

It’s been over a week and I am finally feeling better after being sick in bed with the flu. During that time I was not well enough to talk or text or even be online with social media for very long. I started to get stir crazy because I really needed human interaction. Thankfully I got a lot of rest and I also had my movie collection to watch. And yet it really got to be very lonely.

Her (2013)

The science fiction romantic comedy-drama, Her, is about a lonely, introverted man named Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) who develops a deep relationship with the female voice of his computer’s new operating system named Samantha (Scarlett Johansson). The film is an excellent and unique exploration of the primal needs of love and relationships and how far a man goes with artificial intelligence. The soundtrack is also amazing with its moving piano arrangements capturing the love between Theodore and Samantha. See: movie trailer

Phoenix and Johansson’s performances are so emotionally engaging it’s easy to see why this film is winning top awards and expected to receive Oscar nominations. I was so drawn into the story and it made me look at my own life as well as see the film’s insights on relationships we build online. Here are some favourite, inspirational quotes from the film.

“The past is just a story we tell ourselves.” 

“We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself… joy.” 

“I trust myself, I trust my feelings. I’m not going to try to be anything other than who I am anymore and I hope you can except that.” 

“You know, I can feel the fear that you carry around and I wish there was something I can do to help you let go of it because if you could I don’t think you’d feel so alone anymore.” 

I hope these quotes help inspire your start to a new year filled with rich interactions whether they be in person or online via social media. And if you see this film please let me know what messages it gave you that were motivating or empowering.

Related Tips:
Tip#721: The Need for Human Interaction – Her 
Tip#1020: The Need for Human Interaction, Part 2 - Passengers 

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Insights, Epiphanies & AHA moments 

EMMANUEL’S FIRST BOOK NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON KINDLE: “Movies for Motivation: How To Stay Strong in Your Life & Career” Read the Introduction and 1st Chapter now: Click here 

JOIN ME on FACEBOOK: Click here
JOIN ME on TWITTER: Click here
JOIN ME on YOUTUBE: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero
Providing Inspiring Movies to Empower Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2014

2 comments:

Candice Frederick said...

there are so many lovely takeaways and conversation starters in this movie. one of my favorites of the season. glad you got something out of it too. also glad you're feeling better :)

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Many thanks Candice! Feeling much better. And glad that "Her" is one of your favourites too. Just seen it a 2nd time and still amazed at the 2 lead performances even if one is just a voice. And Amy Adams looks so beautiful without makeup!

Emmanuel