Sunday, November 10, 2013

Tip#703: Have a Good Cry at the Movies, Part 2 - Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked)

This is an example of how a movie can trigger a good cry even days after viewing. I recently saw the comedy Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) written and directed by Richard Curtis who did the film Love Actually. I was telling a friend about one scene that moved me and suddenly I became emotional and started to cry. Thankfully my friend is also a coach so I felt safe enough to release whatever was happening.

I recognized I was going through a healing process and that a subconscious issue or pain I’ve held inside me was coming out. And it was triggered by a movie scene that I simply resonated with. It was a mirror for me and after I cried we analyzed what the scene meant to me and I felt so much lighter.

Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) (2009)

The comedy, Pirate Radio, is about a pirate radio station “Radio Rock” broadcasting rock and roll in the mid 60’s when this music was very limited in the United Kingdom. The music was being broadcast from a ship anchored in the North Sea by an eclectic crew of disc jockeys played by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rhys Ifans, Nick Frost, Chris O’Dowd and several others. The film is filled with great music, funny scenes and a multitude of shots featuring people whose lives were touched by this radio station. See: movie trailer

The scene that moved me was when the boat and all the people on board were in trouble and rescue seemed hopeless. I saw how some people who heard their distress transmission chose not to help and how others did. I knew I made an emotional connection with this and I discovered it was a mirror for what I had been through during my bankruptcy a few years ago (see Tip#400). I cried because of the hurt I kept inside me from people who ignored my situation AND I cried tears of joy remembering those numerous people who came to my rescue. I am so grateful for films that can entertain and provide an emotional release all at the same time!

Movies can be so empowering and be so healing. Do you have movie examples that felt healing in some way? Please let me know!

Related Tips:
Tip#692: Have a Good Cry at the Movies, Part 1 – Shadowlands
Tip#703: Have a Good Cry at the Movies, Part 2 - Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked)
Tip#739: Have a Good Cry at the Movies, Part 3 – Winter’s Tale

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Insights, Epiphanies & AHA moments 

NEED A MOTIVATIONAL SUPERHERO TO SPEAK AT YOUR ORGANIZATION?
Ask about Motivatorman’s new topic:
“Indestructible Optimism”
How to Stay Positive & Proactive in Your Career & Life

EMMANUEL’S FIRST BOOK NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON KINDLE:
“Movies for Motivation: How To Stay Strong in Your Life & Career”
Read the Introduction and 1st Chapter now: Click here 

JOIN ME on FACEBOOK: Click here
JOIN ME on TWITTER: Click here
JOIN ME on YOUTUBE: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero
Providing Inspiring Movies to Empower Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2013

2 comments:

Dan O. said...

Good review Emanuel. I haven't seen this one in awhile, but I still have a very fond memory of enjoying myself and really wanting to buy the soundtrack as soon as I saw it.

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Thanks Dan! The film is chock full of amazing songs!